Friday, July 31, 2009

A Band Sampler for the Ages

We all know what band samplers are, those seventeenth century records of stitches and designs worked in bands and kept as reference works. Some of us have even stitched our own band samplers to hang proudly on our walls. But I've just been reading about a modern take on this old idea. At a blog called Pin Tangle is a category called "For the Love of Stitching Band Sampler" which details the story of Sharon B's band sampler. What started out as doodles and references for teaching has grown into a 44ft-plus experiment in color, stitch, texture and design. It is truly amazing. Take the time to scroll through and look at the pictures, all 14 pages and 100-plus bands. It makes me want to pull out fabric, thread, and stitching books, and do some experimenting of my own.

2 comments:

  1. I went to the workshop for the Council on the Arts and Humanities of S. I. on Wed. night.

    I'm at work now so I can't write all my notes about themeeting and what they are looking for, but the dedline for submission is mid-October, so we should begin to get some ideas going about what we would do with $3,000.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.